"Gone away is the old nerd --
Here to stay is the the new word --
He sings a love song
As we go along ...
Walking in a Wiki Wonderland"
Yes, I realize that those are not the right lyrics, but you get the idea. I use Wikipedia from time to time and enjoy its versatility, but I am also aware that any wiki can have its flaws, especially if it allows unrestricted editing. Some people choose to use wikis to express their own opinions on subjects that have nothing to do with the wiki entry that they are supposedly updating. In our own library wikis, certain staff members have used the wiki as a vehicle for pushing their own agendas rather than trying to add to the body of information for all users. I prefer the use of a wiki that is overseen by individuals that restrict the postings or who can edit out the nonsense. I was impressed with the wikis created for use by ALA conference members and can see how that would be useful as tourism tool for most communities. On the other hand, other library wikis that I looked at had been edited to the point that grammar and meaning had been lost in several places on the wiki. This is where it is useful to have someone acting as "overseer" to correct errors and omissions.
Friday, December 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment